TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

What happens when a house goes into foreclosure? How late do

What happens when a house goes into foreclosure? How late do you have to be for that to happen? Is there any ending aside from refi where you are able to keep your house (i.e.: bankruptcy). 15 yrs in, can't get refi because of score, just want to know my options should it get to that point

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

Q: What happens when a house goes into foreclosure?

A: Eventually, the house is sold, and the proceeds from the sale are applied to the unpaid mortgage.

Q: How late do you have to be for that to happen?

A: At least 120 days late.

Q: Is there any ending aside from refi where you are able to keep your house (i.e.: bankruptcy). 15 yrs in, can't get refi because of score, just want to know my options should it get to that point

A: Yes, there are a couple of options aside from a refinance. You touched upon the first one, which is bankruptcy. If you were to file a chapter 13 bankruptcy, then you would be able to keep the house so long as you can make your regular mortgage payments and pay back any arrears over a 3 to 5 year period. A loan modification may also be possible. A loan modification can be very helpful because he can result in lower monthly payments. This is generally accomplished by either lowering your interest rate, or reducing your outstanding principal balance, or a combination of the two.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also,please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars(and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need more help on this issue.