Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

My ex boyfriend and I purchased a home 2 years ago. Mortgage

Customer Question

My ex boyfriend and I purchased a home 2 years ago. Mortgage loan is under my name. Deed is under both of our names. All bills are paid through my checking account and he gives me little money to cover expenses such as grocery shopping and daughter expenses. What rights does he have over the house? If he does not have proof of any payments towards home, does he still have rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If he is on the deed, then he owns half the house. Unfortunately, this is the case whether he pays you anything or not. If you are the only one on the mortgage, then you are the only one who is legally responsible for paying it.

.

So the deed determines ownership, the mortgage determines who has to pay for it..

.

But if you have a written or verbal contract that he is to pay you a certain amount, and he has failed to do so, then your recourse is to sue him for breach of contract in court to get a judgment against him for whatever he owes you...

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience,even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks