Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

We own a boat rental business in North Carolina. We just

Customer Question

We own a boat rental business in North Carolina. We just heard we are being sued for something that happened two years ago. One of our customers got a finger cut off on a pontoon boat swinging door. Our company was an LLC at the time but was was closed last year. We are living in Florida and renting our house to a married couple. Our renters are calling us telling us a process server has been trying to serve papers on us. They are also going to sue the boat builder because of the door defect. What can happen if they are unable to serve us? Will we still be included in the lawsuit with the boat builder?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 month ago.

If they are unable to serve you personally they can 1) serve the secretary of state since you were a corporation or 2) ask for "substituted service" which is service by an alternate method such as posting a notice at the courthouse or in the newspaper.

If you "dissolved" your LLC then you may have opened yourself up to personal liability so you may want to speak to a local attorney about what to do in a case like that such as re-starting the LLC, although you are limited in how you can do that. With a case where you have damages this serious you definitely don't want to be facing personal liability.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.