Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.
68197583

My coop went on auction foreclosure Friday. I just realize

Customer Question

Hi . My coop went on auction foreclosure Friday . I just realize this today as my roommate put the letter away thinking it was spam. How can I found out who bought it and what recourse do I have. I'm the shareholder on record and the maintenance is over 1000 per month
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Ny
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I'm not sure about that question What kind of paperwork
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had declared bankruptcy in June so I thought I was ok but I missed 2 payments and the bankruptcy was voided. I just found this out yesterday
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of this situation. Unfortunately I have very bad news for you on this issue.

New York has no "redemption period" following a foreclosure sale - this means that as your coop was foreclosed on two days ago, you do not have a legal right to redeem the property.

The new owner now has a right to evict you from the property.

Here is a description of the entire procedure (you are now in the final two steps): http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/ny-foreclosure-laws-procedures.html

You can find the buyer information by contacting the trustee that conducted the sale (this should be on the notice that your roommate picked up). You should be able to work out a move out plan with the buyer as most are willing to negotiate something with the occupant in order to avoid the time and expense of having to go through an eviction proceeding in court.

Again, I am very sorry.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 2 months ago.

The site stated that you requested to another attorney. I am a different Attorney. Where you in Chapter 7 or 13?