Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.

My neighbor told me that if a neighbor mows the grass on

Customer Question

My neighbor told me that if a neighbor mows the grass on their side of your fence and that grass is technically your property they can go to the city and declare that land thiers after 20 yrs. Is that true? If so, how do you protect yourself from that happening. I have a piece of my yard (200-300 sq ft) that is land locked by fences and cannot be fenced by me because of utility lines and a drainage hole. I live in Illinois
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

All you need do is exercise authority over your property and send a cease and desist letter to the neightbor or, in the alternative, let them know that you give them permission to mow your lawn. That permission will defeat the claim of adverse possession since the "squatter's" use must be hostile, which it is not if you give permission.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!