RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

Thank you for your help. New owner raising rent 55% month to

Customer Question

Thank you for your help. New owner raising rent 55% month to month tenant gave notice on Sept 8 to be effective Oct 1. I was given RCW 59.18.140 supposed addresses requires landlord to give 30 days notice to raise rent but my reading this citation does not say anything about this. I cannot find in RCW's that does speak to the required notice. We were not informed a new owner until his notice he was new owner on August 29.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. Yes, that notice is required and I have provided the law below, for you to review, which shows 30 days in needed for the increase.

RCW 59.18.140

Reasonable obligations or restrictions—Tenant's duty to conform.

The tenant shall conform to all reasonable obligations or restrictions, whether denominated by the landlord as rules, rental agreement, rent, or otherwise, concerning the use, occupation, and maintenance of his or her dwelling unit, appurtenances thereto, and the property of which the dwelling unit is a part if such obligations and restrictions are not in violation of any of the terms of this chapter and are not otherwise contrary to law, and if such obligations and restrictions are brought to the attention of the tenant at the time of his or her initial occupancy of the dwelling unit and thus become part of the rental agreement. Except for termination of tenancy, after thirty days written notice to each affected tenant, a new rule of tenancy including a change in the amount of rent may become effective upon completion of the term of the rental agreement or sooner upon mutual consent.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this is gobbly goop. I guess I asked the wrong question. Calendaring the new owner's Sept 8 notification to agree to new lease increasing rent 55% effective Oct 1. I read this as inadequate notice of rent increase by him and by this calendaring (administrative days) make the new lease (offer) and increase (legally) effective November 1. Is my calendaring correct. what is the landlord's proper date of this taking effect?

Thank you for the reply and follow up, since it did appear you wanted to know the time requirement. Yes, you are correct. If the rent is paid on the first of the month, at least a 30 day notice would need to be given from the 1st. In this case, if the notice was given on the 8th, it would carry over until the following full 30 day notice, so it would be November 1.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!