How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 6243
Experience:  20 years professional experience
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Condo question. Last year I repaired a leak in basement

Customer Question

Condo question. Last year I repaired a leak in basement north wall/window connection Paid $530. Believe this should have been covered by condo ins. 11 months later same area leaked. Conco assn. said only c rack or hole covered by ins. Also my AAA ins. said land property was too low so they would not cover it. Water puddles up and ruins wall/window area. Maybe two years ago association put more dirt on west wall to prevent leaks. Present leak on north wall.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Michigan, Macomb County. I have one more sentence. When added dirt put on west wall to build up and prevent leaks, all OK. Now with leak on north wall they say they will not repair it.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No. I have contacted a local attorney, but he said his area is real estate and he with my permission gave all paperwork to another attorney to look over. I just do not know what to do.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Many years ago ( I have lived here for over 20 years ago, and north wall on furnace area side (about 20 feet to the ease) there was a leak which they repaired. Now, the assn pres. is concerned about bills, and running up costs and has taken on a negative attitude. I really want to pay everything I am responsible for, but I think that if they can get me to pay with no problem all will be fine. Also, I am so tired of all this that when it is over I plan to sell this and move away but I cannot do it until the place is repaired. I have paid all my monthly ass. dued for over 20 years and never once was late.
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.

You will need to hire a slab leak detection type expert to come out and identify the source of the problem first and to give you a written report. Once that report identifies why this is happening then you may be able to file a nuisance or negligence action against the association if they still refuse to repair the problem. Further, you will then know if it is covered by any insurance. If you have to go to court on this, theses types of cases turn on whose expert the jury normally believes is more credible.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.

Related Real Estate Law Questions