Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am the Buyer. The contract for the property includes a

Customer Question

I am the Buyer. The contract for the property includes a requirement for the seller to complete inspection items by a date which has already passed. I didn't take any action, but my realtor called and said they were still working on items so I didn't do anything.
They agreed to a second inspection just to verify the items were done. I got the re-inspection report today and 3 items are still not done. We are due to close on Monday? Can I require a delay in closing for them to complete these items or ask them to reduce the price for them using estimated cost?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 month ago.

Hi- my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

If the contract is contingent on these issues being completed, then you should be able to seek a continuance of the closing if these items aren't done. An alternative could be to ask the seller to pay you the cost of making these final repairs.........and that would allow you to close on time. Also, if the seller were to refuse to complete these tasks, you could sue for the breach, seek damages, etc.