KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Arbitrator
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

Tenants in my building are in the process of forming a

Customer Question

Hi, Tenants in my building are in the process of forming a tenants association. We would like to know how is the process and exactly why tenants association are formed. Thanks in advane!
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: New York City
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Well, we asked all the tenants, the majority are in agreement.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: What percent of tenants have to sign off, and if we will need a lawyer to form the association.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

Good evening.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A tenant association is a group formed by many of the tenants in a building. There is no legal minimum number of tenants you need to start the tenant association. The tenant association is to get the tenants to work together for a common good. There are also no formal legal requirements, like a corporation or non-profit organization.

An association is used to apply more pressure to make a landlord provide services, make repairs, and stop harassment—and get the best possible home for the rent you are paying. A strong tenant association can force a landlord to listen; as a group, the tenants can have more leverage to negotiate, file complaints with the city and state agencies that oversee housing, get help from elected officials, go to court, or—if push comes to shove—call a rent strike.

What you need to do is call a meeting and inform all the willing tenants of the date and time. At the meeting you should have the sign-in sheet at the door. Someone should volunteer to chair the first meeting, and should give his/her name and apartment number. Explain how and why the meeting was called, and who the preliminary group includes.

At the meeting, minutes, either recorded or written, needs to be taken, both to keep accurate records for the association as well as to be distributed to all tenants, whether or not they are able to attend all the meetings.

Depending on the size of the group, ask everyone at the meeting to introduce him/herself. If you live in a large building and most tenants have come to this meeting, ask, by a show of hands, how many representatives there are from each floor.

At the meeting, ask the tenants what the problems are in the building, and develop short-term and long-term goals.

Most associations incur group expenses such as postage, copying, etc. Depending on the problems and the owner's response to your demands, the association may have to go to court which can entail legal fees. The association will have to decide how to pay for such expenses, either by dues, contributions, fund-raisers, etc.

Most tenants' associations function very well with a committee, and never adopt a more formal structure. If you have very complex legal problems, your group may need to formalize the association's structure by electing officers and writing by-laws. Remember there is no formal requirement to write by-laws, but written by-laws help your organization to stay focused, and to keep a formal organization with structure and rules.

I hope this helps with your question.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

Also, there is no formal reports that have to be filed, it is an association of tenants and only when you go to court is when you file any paperwork.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

Please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you do not rate the question I will not get paid for assisting you with your question. You will not be charged extra to rate the question and you can ask follow up questions.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

Please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you do not rate the question I will not get paid for assisting you with your question. You will not be charged extra to rate the question and you can ask follow up questions after you rate the question.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 9 months ago.