legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed

I gave a new tenant that paid her deposit and first months

Customer Question

I gave a new tenant that paid her deposit and first months rent with a Bluebird check that requires a code, she gave this check to mh mother bdcause I wasng in town. The cr ed fitbunion called to verify funds, they were not able yo cadh the check , its been 8 days , she still hasn't cleared the balance , she keeps making excuses. She had given my mom money orders not equally the total smount required for move in. The water was to be turned on once she paid her move in full..she has late fees that are due .. my contact advise if rent not paid on the first late fees will begin the next day. I told her i would give her a couple days v to clear thd check. Anc tg hen late fees would start,,she didn't pay on the agreed date informed her the agreement is off. Does she have to go with the late fees as agreed on the agreement. .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

To be clear, the lease specified a certain amount in late fees if the rent was not paid by a certain date?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there are text messsges too
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your patience as I researched this;

Yes, so long as the lease specifically mentioned late fees, a landlord may charge a reasonable late fee if the rent is not received on time- this means the full amount of rent; if a check is dishonored that does not constitute payment.

Please see:

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i turned the checks over to the DA ,
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do I do about the water,,
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

The DA can prosecute for the bad check; but from a civil perspective the LL would need to sue in small claims.

Was the water turned on?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There was a bill from the last tenant ,,i wasnt aware
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

So what is the exact question please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Om waiting on her to pay her deposit and first month rent..
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Yes, if the tenant does not pay deposit and then first month's rent they would be in breach of the contract and they can be evicted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can i still collect if I turned the checks over to the Da,, i can't afford to evict
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Yes, as nonpayment would be the basis;

a criminal proceeding does not preclude a civil suit-in fact a conviction will result in the civil court finding for the plaintiff (so the plaintiff would not have to prove anything-the criminal court would take care of that)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do i neef to keep texting her about payment
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello is it harassment to keep asking for payment over text, she will not answer the phone when I call
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

It is best to send a written demand letter.

Basically requesting the amount due and asking that it be paid by _ date or one will proceed with obtaining a small claims judgment

continual attempts can be considered harassment; that is why the written complaint is best.

Kindly rate positively if no further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can start an eviction at any time because of the return checks for the move in fees
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Yes, but one needs to give notice of the eviction before proceeding with filing the court documents.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 month ago.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!