Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a commercial lease set to expire 10/31/16 while in

Customer Question

I have a commercial lease set to expire 10/31/16 while in negotiations for a new lease I was informed 09/08/16 my space had been offered to a national tennant and i would have to vacate. I have since signed with another commercial landlord for a space and have spent monies to have it prepared. On 9/16/16 I was advised by my currant landlord the deal with the national tenant was not going to happen and they wanted to know if I wanted to stay. Do I have any recourse. We are an art studio that relies on reservations for events, and we now cannot accept anything after 10/30/16. This action by the landlord has disrupted business during the busy holiday season, and has cost me a lot of expenses to try to get a new space up and running.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Unfortunately, if you were to decide to stay, then any money you have put towards the new place would simply be lost money as the current landlord is not under any legal obligation to reimburse you for money you spent on securing a new location.

.

You are free to reject the current landlord's offer to say and continue the transition to the new place if you choose to do so.

.

While there is no legal obligation, you might be able to use this to negotiate some concessions with the current landlord if you were to stay. You could tell them that you have spent $XXXX due to them telling you that you had to vacate, but if they agree to reimburse you through a reduction in rent, you will stay.

.

Then it is up to the landlord as to whether they want to keep you in the place badly enough to pay you for your expenses..

.

.

thanks