Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I'm in a gated community in AZ.The management have broken

Customer Question

I'm in a gated community in AZ.The management have broken many of their own rules daily.Plus they break the laws about parking and blocking handicap parking and blocking side walk access for wheel chairs with the golf carts Also they park in front of fire hydrants.I have wrote to the home office twice and had no response back.I have said some several times to the employees and they just don't care.The manager is unapproachable ,He belittles you and threatens to evict you and take your house..Well I went and tried to talk to him about to sidewalks being blocked by golf carts and one of them is in a handicap loading zone.I was load because i was nervous but in know way threaten him.Next day I got a paper that he wants me to sign basically saying he is giving me a addendum to sign that said he has the right to prosecute me and kick me out and take my house.Who van I go to for help in this matter. Thanks Kevin
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you an owner of the property or are you a tenant?

.

Is there a homeowner's Association that governs the development?

.

Have you contacted the police when they are blocking handicapped areas?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am owner of the house but not the land
yes
once
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have taken many pictures with dates on them.Police suggested to do that

Ok, if they are parking in handicapped designated areas illegally, then your recourse is to call the police and have them come out and cite the driver or tow the vehicle that is in the area violating the law. Only the police can take actions with regard to a violation of the law as they are the law enforcement agency charged with that task.

.

As for management's behavior and demeanor in general, that is something that you would need to bring up at any Association meeting along with your proof of their constant violations of the rules and handicapped restricted areas. Assuming the Association has hired the management company, they are liable for their actions. So you can put it forward publicly that if they continue to violate the handicapped accessibility laws, you will contact a local civil rights disability attorney and file suit against the Association and the management company for violating the ADA.

.

When faced with clear evidence of their violations, the Association should jerk the management back in line rather than face the possibility of being sued for discrimination and violating the ADA in federal court, which would cost tens of thousands to defend against.

.

If you really wanted to scare them, have a local attorney send a "cease and desist" letter to the Association/management with photos of the offenses and have the attorney threaten to sue them if this continues..

.

.

thanks