Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

In 1992 our small community voted to assess ourselves

Customer Question

In 1992 our small community voted to assess ourselves $120.00 per year for our own Sheriff Deputy assigned exclusive to our specific area of about 5 square miles. The Highgrove Sheriff Deputy was in addition to the regular Sheriff coverage provided to our community and other unincorporated parts of Riverside County. All parcel owners pay the fee including residential, commercial and even vacant land. An actual ballot of the people within the area was taken in 1992 and again in 1997. The $120.00 appears on our property tax bills as a special assessment and this has worked for almost 20 years.
We recently discovered that the Highgrove Sheriff Deputy's position was eliminated without a vote approximately 6 years ago but the $120.00 still appears on our property tax bills which has resulted in parcel owners paying for a specific service we no longer have. Our property taxes have to be paid in full or a lien could be placed on our properties.
In 1997 this self assessment was passes again by 75.8 % of the voters but the Highgrove Sheriff Deputy was eliminated by Riverside County without written notification or another vote from the people.
I am Chairman of the Highgrove Municipal Advisory Council and my wife and I own the local newspaper: The "Highgrove Happenings". I have 24 years of written documentation including copies of the 1992 and 1997 ballots to verify that this assessment was given to Riverside County for implementation.There are over 1,100 parcel owners who have been paying $120.00 per year for 6 years after the Highgrove Deputy was eliminated.
In addition, the title of the special assessment that appears on the 2015/16 tax bills has been changed and now includes: Landscaping. Your legal assistance is needed to recover compensation for the property owners who have been pay for a specific service that was eliminated without proper written notification.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Regrettably, this site does not offer legal representation. You would need to retain the services of a local Attorney who handles municipal issues to assist you with the case.

Yes, I do agree that the assessment should have stopped after the Town eliminated the position of the Sheriff Deputy. You should not have been charged for a position that no longer exists.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Goodluck with your case,