Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate

I just listed my property in North Carolina. My -term tenant

Customer Question

I just listed my property in North Carolina. My long-term tenant wants to purchase it. Unfortunately, I was advised after completing the listing contract. The tenant wants me to represent her. I am licensed in California. Since attorneys handle closings in North Carolina, can she have a RE attorney handle her purchase contract? If I hire the attorney to handle this and the closing, is that problematic?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

If you are the seller you can just use local title company.Have them prepare the sales contract and the closing documents for closing.They can do all of this, no need for a realtor or fees here.The only costs are from title company and their lawyer.

They can act as escrow agent as well and holed any earnest money.This protects you from any claims that you are acting as unlicensed realtor.This will save costs of closing if there are no realtor fees and also you can split title company closing costs.This should be a cost savings to both parties and yet give you some distance and any claims you did anything but sell it to them as seller.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

If you can positive rate after we are done it is always much appreciated.