Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

How effective is an addendum to a real estate contract if

Customer Question

How effective is an addendum to a real estate contract if not responded to?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: South Carolina
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: If there is no response during the time period allowed, can the offer be terminated
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Are you talking about an addendum to an already executed contract that is asking to change some of the terms?

.

Or is this more of a counteroffer and there is no executed contract signed by both parties yet?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Executed offer, asking to change terms

Ok, then if there is an executed offer, then it stands on its own. The addendum is just one side's offer to change or modify some of the terms or add new ones. If Party A and Party B have a signed executed written agreement, and A presents an addendum, B can simply refuse to accept it and it won't affect the agreed on already executed contract.

.

But if the addendum has a time limit for acceptance, then once that limit expires, it is rejected by the other party's silence.

.

.

thanks