Attyadvisor, Attorney
Experience:  28 years of experience in general practice, real estate law and estate law.

I'm interested in informaion regarding the new building

Customer Question

I'm interested in informaion regarding the new building codes (effective 2012 i believe) in TN for animal shelter construction
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Our county is planning to build a new "adoption facility" next to our 40+ year old animal shelter. They are planning a 2,800 sq foot building and have a $180,000 budget. They aren't aware of the new TN building codes for animal shelters. I need some informaion to take to our county commissioners. The budget has been approved and the project should go out for bids in the next couple of weeks.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well, it's on an old land fill and there doesn't seem to be any documentation to show where they buried the trash. the existing shelter was the maintience building for the land fill. I am the president of a 501c3 support organization for the shelter. we have $150,000 we have raised and plan to raise more to assist in the construction . the concern is the building they are planning will not be up to code .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Stacy Adkins replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. I'm Stacy and will try to get you the answer you need. To get started, which county in TN?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 1 month ago.

I am a different attorney. I have no idea why the attorney that was assisting you opted out so abruptly, however, it will be my pleasure to assist.

Let me see is I can pull up the latest codes.

"Cumberland County commissioners approved a resolution to adopt commercial building codes and give the county mayor the authority to sign the interlocal agreement on behalf of the county with the city of Crossville to perform the inspections.

Resolution 09-2015-1 was approved in a 13-3 vote by the county commission Monday night, adopting commercial building codes for the county.

The county has previously adopted residential building codes."

"The Codes Administration Department ensures that the public's safety, health and general welfare are secure by enforcing Codes standards governing new construction, existing housing, manufactured homes and signs. Responsibilities of this department include: building permit issuance and inspection, floodplain management, building condemnations, removal of disabled vehicles, property maintenance, high grass, and the enforcement of other standards and regulations found in the Crossville Municipal Code and Ordinance.

Does Your Project Require a Permit?

The City of Crossville currently uses following codes:

2012 International Building Code
2009 International Energy Conservation Code
2012 International Fire Code
2012 International Property Maintenance Code
2012 International Plumbing Code
2012 International Residential Code (one and two family dwellings)
2012 NFPA Life Safety Code 101
2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design
2012 International Mechanical Code
2012 International Fuel Gas Code"