Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I rent a home, the water bill is in the landlords name. I

Customer Question

I rent a home, the water bill is in the landlords name. I cant transfer it to my own and no bill comes to the home. he emailed me demanding i pay it. is that legal?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: in ohio
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no this is all via email
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, he's also threatening to evict me for old furniture in the backyard not being picked up. its a duplex and none of it is mine it belongs to the neighbors downstairs who have made no effort to remove it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Does your rental agreement state that you must pay the water bill tendered by the landlord?

2. Does the rental agreement state that you are responsible for utilities?

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.