P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.

The owner of the property next me has let it become a bum

Customer Question

The owner of the property next me has let it become a bum house pretty much and id like to take legal action because they are not doing anything to prevent this
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alaska
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: cops have been multiple times on the vagrants and all they do is fine them and then the cops leave and they go right back in
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They verbally harass my tenants and ive lost out months worth of rent because no one wants to live next to this place
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Are you asking if you can sue the owner of the home?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I want to know what I can do to get this place demolished or at least secured to its not a home for these people. The cops won't arrest them and the owner is dragging her feet on doing anything with it.

Your options are limited to have the place "demolished"...only the city has that power. And they have discretion (so you can NOT force the city to take this simply is not possible).

But you CAN sue them...what you are describing it sounds like you have a case of "nuisance".

Under the law, if a property owner maintains their property in a way that offends their neighbors? The neighbor can sue for the nuisance.

Consider hiring an attorney and filing a nuisance to recover for the loss of your property value

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Which type of lawyer would you suggest I look at hiring?

Any attorney with 'general litigation' experience can field this. You can contact the state bar for a referral.