Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have a rental property in Chattanooga, tn that I rented to

Customer Question

I have a rental property in Chattanooga, tn that I rented to a lady January of this year. When she moved in she asked me if I would hold the electric in my name for a month so she could get the money together for the deposit. Every month since she has had an excuse as to why she can't afford to change it into her name. The last 4 months she has been late with her rent. What can legal ground do I have here?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Tennessee
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I gave her a two week notice last month and later received rent from her.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is there anything in the written lease that states that she has to have the electric in her name?

.

Is she under a fixed term lease or is she month to month?

.

Has she been paying you the amount of the electric bill each month?

.

.

thanks