How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 115449
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am helping a senior citizen who was elder abused by her

Customer Question

I am helping a senior citizen who was elder abused by her son one of the things he did was ruin her credit. I applied for housing and the one place that had a opening told me they could not rent to her because of her credit. which she ddid not do. They stated federal laws prevent them to take her in subsidized housing. What law prevents that
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: in California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: There is a police report in the city of Antioch. it is being sent to the DA
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to know where I stand in getting her housing what law prevents them from renting to her when I have a police report that she did not cause the bad credit
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under Section 8, 42 U.S.C. § 1437f, credit reports can be checked as a qualifying for public assisted housing. If you have proof this was financial abuse and that it was identity theft, then you need to provide that to the credit bureaus and seek to get her credit report corrected if Section 8 will not accept the police reports proving the identity theft or financial abuse of the elderly.

Related Real Estate Law Questions