Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

Do water bills constitute a lien on the property? If so,

Customer Question

Do water bills constitute a lien on the property? If so, where can I find the law?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Attyadvisor replied 6 months ago.

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

There are a few municipalities that do. Can you tell me where in Maryland the property is located?

For example Baltimore proposed a bill for unpaid water liens and later withdrew the proposal http://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-te.bz.waterbills25mar25-story.html

You would need to check the municipal code. This is not State law but rather local law. Where is the real property in question located?

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, under MD laws 7-542 (https://govt.westlaw.com/mdc/Document/N1B0962E09CE711DB9BCF9DAC28345A2A?viewType=FullText&originationContext=documenttoc&transitionType=StatuteNavigator&contextData=(sc.Default)) unpaid utility bills constitute a right to a lien against property in MD where the services were provided. So, if a utility customer fails to pay their utility bill, the utility company can place a lien on the property where services were provided in addition to turning off services.