MIAMILAW1127, Lawyer
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

I purchased a home last year that was marketed as a 3

Customer Question

I purchased a home last year that was marketed as a 3 bedroom, 2 bath. I found out recently that one of the bedrooms is not properly permitted (was trying to add a master bath). There are significant fees associated with inspections for an updated permit. Can I seek recourse from the selling real estate agency (marketing a home as a 3 bedroom when it is in fact a 2)?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Massachusetts
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for contacting me. I am a consultant here and I am looking forward to assisting you with your question. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Please be patient as I will be typing my responses to you from scratch. Also, I can only answer/address the questions you ask specifically based on the information your provide. Please try to provide as much information as possible so I can best assist you.

Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

The short answer is yes. You can seek recourse from the seller if they knew that there was un-permitted work done on the property and they failed to disclose that to you. You can also include the real estate agency for misrepresenting the property.

I hope this helps. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Thank you.