Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

Can a landlord raise everyone's rent increase for same type

Customer Question

Can a landlord raise everyone's rent increase for same type apartment more then other tenants. I feel this is discrimination.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon Deborah,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference during which there is no limitation on the number of questions you can ask of me, as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you saying that a landlord has increased the rents of all rental units of the same or similar size, or layout, and did not increase rents of other rental units?

2. Do you have a lease or are you a month to month tenant?

Thanks in advance,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 month ago.

I won't be able to assist you if you are not able to provide the minimal information I sought clarification on. Please get back to me with this information at your earliest convenience.