Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Does an eviction notice have to have my name and be

Customer Question

does an eviction notice have to have my name and be notarized, when I was given and owned this property for years. The Real Estate Agent got the property from my aging aunt for $100.00! He has cut my lock off to enter the premises while I was not home and with no notice. And now he has given me 30 days to leave! I have the original signed paper from my aunt somewhere in my home. Is this legal for this realtor to have taken advantage of my aunt? And what are the steps I need to know to stop this illegal activity?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

does an eviction notice have to have my name and be notarized

.

There is no legal requirement that a notice from a landlord to terminate a tenancy be notarized. However, it must list the tenant or occupant's name so as to notify that person that the tenancy is ending. If the name is ***** ***** as in the case of a squatter, the landlord can address it to "All Unknown Occupants", or "John or Jane Doe, et al"..

.

If you were given the property by aunt, did she sign a deed over to you and have it properly notarized?

.

Is aunt mentally incompetent so as to not be able to manage her own affairs?

.

.

thanks