Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I rent an apartment in Richmond, VA. My water and sewage was

Customer Question

I rent an apartment in Richmond, VA. My water and sewage was included in the monthly rent payment until last month. Now I am being charged water and sewage separately in add ition to the monthly rent. The bill is $97+ for a 995 sq. foot dwelling for a months water use. I'm told this amount was determined by "averaging" the use of all 300 plus residents. The bill is not itemized but rather a guess at what I used and actually may owe.
Is this legal under VA state law? Am I entitled to an itemized account of MY personal use?
Please advise...
Dennis *******
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation, D. Can you please tell me what does your CONTRACT state about the water/sewage? Does it say that:

-the rent covers it, or

-it is paid separately, or

-it is paid separately via the average amount per resident, or

-something else?

Or, not sure?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.