Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I have a tenant that has leased for 2 years, I use a major

Customer Question

I have a tenant that has leased for 2 years, I use a major realtor company to manage the lease. The lease is up and the tenant has asked to buy. The realtor pointed out that even if the lease ends, if I sell to the tenant within 180 days I owe them 7% plus a $345 fee.
I understand 7% when selling an empty home, the realtors may have to split the fee, they may have to spend many hours showing the home, they have to manage the listing, etc. But I do not see why I should pay 7% when a buyer is already in the home.
I do not mind paying some fee, paperwork alone is too much for the layman - but do I really have to pay 7%?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

If your management contract states that you have to pay the 7%, then you are just stuck there and if you refused, they could sue you for breach and would win.

.

And I agree that 7% for basically doing nothing is a bad deal for you.. So I might suggest working something out where you either increase the price to include the realtor commission or you negotiate the commission down with the realtor or otherwise refuse to sell and see if the tenant will wait 6 months to buy.

.

If the realtor won't negotiate the commission down, then they get nothing if you don't sell..

.

.

thanks