Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

Our home owners insurance co cancelled our home owner policy

Customer Question

Our home owners insurance co cancelled our home owner policy after we put in a claim which they wouldnt cover without giving us a chance to correct what they claime was the reason why they canceled our policy, i live in Connecticut
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
Was this a cancellation or non renewal?
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
If a cancellation, did out violate the terms of the policy?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No we filled a claim they came.out to look at it they took pictures denied the claim and had a list of complaints never gave tome correct them which we have done before the cancelation goes into effect
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
You may have a claim for breach of the policy and bad faith. If you prevail you could recovery attorney fees and punitive damages.
It is strongly recommended that you retain local counsel if youare going to sue.
If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:
http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will get counsel i believe we were handled in an unjust manor and we will fight this we had the insurance for 10 years with i claim that paid 1800 for the work done due to a storm
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
If they violated the terms of the policy then you are entitled to substantial damages.
You will also want to file a complaint with your state insurance commission.
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me.
A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.