AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

I have a tree I think l is on our property line it fell. My

Customer Question

I have a tree I think l is on our property line it fell. My property is located next to a corner, there are four (4) other properties bordering my back and side yards. The tree fell on the yard next to the tree line and on the another house next to it. I do not have insurance. What is my responsibility?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 7 months ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

If you were not negligent, and the tree fell due to an accident that you had no control over, such as it was torn down in a storm, then your neighbors would have to file a claim with their insurance, and you would not be liable. Their insurance would most likely cover it.

If on the other hand, the tree falling was a result of your negligence. For example, there was a dead branch, that had been dead and rotting for a while, and you failed to maintain the tree by having the dead part removed, and that part fell and harmed your neighbor's property, then you would be liable.

Does that make sense?