Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate

My back yard neighbor's garage serves as the boarder

Customer Question

My back yard neighbor's garage serves as the boarder dividing our properties. The house was just bought and they may be tearing down the garage AKA half our backyard wall. Are they legally allowed to do this without first consulting us and if so are the financially responsible for replacing the fence with a design of our choice?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

If they tear it down here then they are liable for replacement.They would need your consent here if it truly is on the border of the property.They may approach about this issue, to me they should bear the cost of replacement.If there is nothing defective here with garage as far as a border then they need your permission here to tear it down.I am assuming that garage goes exactly tot he property line here, if it is on their side of the boundary then its their problem and they don't need your permission to teat down and replace.You may want to check your plat map here to make sure its on the exact boundary.

This should be their expense either way, it is truly on property line or on their side of it.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.