Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I received a 3-day notice last month. University Place, WA.

Customer Question

I received a 3-day notice last month. University Place, WA. The Veterans Bureau paid 80% and I owed the rest. The landlord would not accept my part (of the past due rent) until the check was received in their office. I get an email on Saturday, September 3rd, 2016, stating that the check was recevied, and that, I had to pay my balance, plus late fees,(and $378 add'l fees that arent even in the lease agreement, and, they won't explain to me why I have to pay them) plus September's rent plus the late fees on that (even though it's not counted as late until after the 5th), or, I will be evicted. I contacted their attorney and he said that he sent out a "show cause" notice yesterday. I still have as of yet to receive it. What are my rights?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Were you late in paying August rent?

Did you pay it within the 3 day period starting the day after delivery of the notice?

Or are you saying that the Aug rent wasn't received until Sept 3?

When if rent due?

Does your lease state that a late fee doesn't apply until after the 5th?