Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I received a 3-day notice last month. University Place, WA.

Customer Question

I received a 3-day notice last month. University Place, WA. The Veterans Bureau paid 80% and I owed the rest. The landlord would not accept my part (of the past due rent) until the check was received in their office. I get an email on Saturday, September 3rd, 2016, stating that the check was recevied, and that, I had to pay my balance, plus late fees,(and $378 add'l fees that arent even in the lease agreement, and, they won't explain to me why I have to pay them) plus September's rent plus the late fees on that (even though it's not counted as late until after the 5th), or, I will be evicted. I contacted their attorney and he said that he sent out a "show cause" notice yesterday. I still have as of yet to receive it. What are my rights?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

Were you late in paying August rent?

.

Did you pay it within the 3 day period starting the day after delivery of the notice?

.

Or are you saying that the Aug rent wasn't received until Sept 3?

.

When if rent due?

.

Does your lease state that a late fee doesn't apply until after the 5th?

.

.

thanks