LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years legal experience. Additionally, in CA I held a Real Estate Broker's license.
15277592

My roomate changed the door lock to a property we lease

Customer Question

my roomate changed the door lock to a property we lease together to prevent me from entering the house? And put some personal belongings of mine outside. We are both on the lease. Our rent is fully paid. What can i do to get the rest of my belongings before they dissapear? Thanks!
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. How long ago were you locked out?

2. Are you still on the lease as a tenant, who is obligated to pay rent?

Doug

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have been locked out for 48 hours or so. Yes i am on the lease as a tenant and still have to pay rent.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

You can do several things under the law. You can have a locksmith open the door for you because you are a legal leaseholder of the property.

You can call the police and they will tell the other person that you must be allowed in as this is your residence and they have no legal right to lock you out.

Or, if you want, you can sue the roommate for illegal eviction and seek money damages as well as all of your things returned to you.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug