AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

I live in Calif. My landlord changed the lock on my door,

Customer Question

I live in Calif. My landlord changed the lock on my door, then donated or sold all of my belongings. I did not authorize this, what can I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Stockton, California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Her rent was paid, they say she verbally told them she was not coming back but that is not true, she mailed in her rent and they accepted it, they have stated her account was up to date and she owes them no money.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

One moment as I prepare the response to your question. . .

The tenant can sue the landlord for wrongful eviction. The landlord had no right to change the locks and remove the property without going through an eviction proceeding in court. If she did this without an order from a court evicting a tenant, then the tenant has a strong case against the landlord for damages.

The tenant can recover out-of-pocket losses, such as motel bills during the time the tenant did not have a place to live (but the tenant needs to mitigate her damages and try to use reasonable efforts to find a new place). The tenant can also recover for the loss of her property- make a list and assign a value to each item. If you have photos to corroborate the tenant did own the property, that's great, but not necessary. The tenant can also get punitive damages ($100/day) and attorney fees and costs.

Has that answered your question?

Kindly let me know if I answered your question?