WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced real estate lawyer and real estate broker.
62735101

I CLEARED A LOT IN A DEVELOMENT WITHOUT THE POA OR HOA

Customer Question

I CLEARED A LOT IN A DEVELOMENT WITHOUT THE POA OR HOA APPROVAL . THE CITY SAID I DIDN'T NEED A PERMIT. NOW THEY ARE CLAIMING I CHANGED THE CONTOUR OF THE LOT, THAT I HAVE NO DRAINAGE PLAN OR IRRAGATION PLAN THAT THERE ARE NOO VALLEYS ON THE SIDES FOR DRAINAGE. THAT I CLEARED A 25 FOOT EASEMENT IN THE REAR OF THE PROPERTY WHEN ONLY 10% OF THE HOMES HAVE NOT CLEARED IT AND NON OF THE LOTS IN THE NIEGHBOR HOOD HAVE NAY OF THE ITEMS STATED ABOVE. I BELIEVE THEY ARE DISCRIMATING. DO I HAVE A CASE TO SUE THEM AND STOP THEM FROM FINING ME?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: WEST PALM BEACH FLORIDA
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: THEY HAVE SENT A NOTICE FOR ME TO APPEAR IN FRONT OF THEIR BOARD ON THE 20TH AAND THEY SENT THE VIOLATIONS TO ME BY CERTIFIED MAIL
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 3 months ago.

Under Florida law, if you didn't demolish any buildings or knock down any large trees, you did not need a permit to do what you did, so they fine is not justified. I recommend you try to get a statement in writing from the person who told you to proceed without a permit, and then go to the hearing with that statement and ask that the matter be dismissed and you not fined. If you can have the person who told you no permit necessary appear in person, that would be even better.

In any event, you did not need a permit to clear the land, so you should not be held accountable for any fines.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

Expert:  WiseOwl58 replied 2 months ago.