Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

If my 12 year old son has ADHD and emotional issues, am I

Customer Question

If my 12 year old son has ADHD and emotional issues, am I Eligible under the ADA act or HUD regulations to install outdoor security cameras to ensure his safety, even though my Condominium complex located in Massachusetts as a rule disallows the installation of outdoor cameras. My neighbor in the complex has already set a precedent allowing her use of outdoor cameras for her son with autism.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

I don't know that your neighbor has "set a precedent". This is one of those things you hear people say but there are actually no cases that say that.

I'll continue below, the website seems to be having some problems posting today.

The issue is whether his doctor will state that the outdoor camera is necessary for his condition.

The best way to handle it is to go to a local lawyer and have them write a letter making the request and explaining why it is necessary as well as asking that if they decide to reject the request that the rejection be in writing. If they (the apartment manager) then rejects the request and puts it in writing, you can have the doctor address the issue. That sets you up in a better situation if you have to file a lawsuit.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

As I said earlier, the website appears to be acting up just a little so if it takes a while for me to get back with you that's why.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not very helpful

What else can I answer?

You asked were you eligible and I explained how you would be eligible

However, I am more than happy to answer any additional questions you have and anything else that will assist you.