Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate

I am a property owner. I have never hired any contractor or

Customer Question

I am a property owner. I have never hired any contractor or repairman whatsoever.
I fount out there is a mechanic lien on my property. How it could be possible?
Only clue is that there are tenants on my property. Am I responsible for any nonpayment
by the tenant made it possible for the lien on the property?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Here you need to do some research.You can go to county deed records and see who has the lien.Then you contact them.
It is very possible that this was done in error.If the date of the lien predates you owning it then you have a claim against your title policy as they would guarantee clear title and you can contact them and seek to have them resolve this matter.

You also have option to file suit to cleat title and have court award you clear title.This would be the other remedy here to remove the lien through such a civil suit and court orders award clear title to you stripping away the lien.

Do some investigating to see who has lien, call them about resolving it if it was done in error.If this was before your purchase then title policy protects you and you have claim against title company and you contact them to remove and resolve it.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.