DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC

I am trying to stop an eviction from the property I am

Customer Question

I am trying to stop an eviction from the property I am renting. I recieved a final judgement from the court, that my rental company, Freo Texas has been granted a final judgement of $3,957.53 for the months of June, July and August. The writ of posession date was August 31, 2016. Since I am working with the rental company, they stopped the lockout.
My question comes about the price they are trying to charge to remain in the property. The property manager is saying, I need to pay $8,093.20 to stay in the property. Now my rent per month is $1,375.00.
If they got a judgement for $3,957.53, can they charge me double to stay in the property, or do they have to follow the judgement given?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** can assist you with this.

Did you ask them what they are basing that figure on?

Here's the real problem for you. Since they already have a judgment and writ of possession, your rental lease is terminated and they do not have to work out anything with you. So, they can charge you whatever they want. They are simply trying to rip you off because they do not have to stick to the judgment amount since they already have the judgment. If it was before the judgment was entered you would have been able to pay the back rent and attorney's fees.

Does that answer everything for you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did ask them what they are basis it on and they said June, July, August, and September rent plus attorney's fees.
1,375 + 1,375 + 1,375 + 1,375 + 1,176=
should be $6,676 not $8,093.20
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 month ago.

Ok, good that you asked and I do agree with your math if the attorney's fees were 1,176. Did you present that calculation to them?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will when I meet with them today. I also asked if the would send me a itemized bill of my charges oweing.
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 month ago.

Yes, that is awfully high, sounds like they are trying to grab some extra money. If I have answered all your questions, please kindly rate the question. Thank you.

Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 1 month ago.

Does that fully answer your question?