Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years

Tree in our yard has roots extending into neighbors yard.

Customer Question

tree in our yard has roots extending into neighbors yard. Are we responsible for
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

The tree is considered your personal property and if any part of it has extended over the vertical or horizontal property line into the neighbor's land, it is legally considered a trespass to property and if the limbs or roots have caused any damages, the neighbor can hold you liable for any repair costs.

So if there is the potential for damage to occur, then it might be a good idea to talk to an arborist to see if the roots can be trimmed back without killing the tree or possibly just have the tree removed to prevent damages.