Alex Esquire
Alex Esquire, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Real Estate Law Mentor
26296561

My Lease ends the end of this month, I have been an

Customer Question

My Lease ends the end of this month, I have been an excellent tenant, paid on time etc. I asked my landlord for 1 more month to finish looking for property and he told me by cell p[hone on the 1st Sept that he wanted me out the 30th Sept so that he could put the property for sale on the 1st Oct. Was I supposed to get a 30 to 60 day written notice from him?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Alex Esquire replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

How long did you rent for?

Did your lease contain any terms for renewal or renewal options?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
this is my 12th month. lease ends the end of this month.
via e mail, my landlord stated july 26th that he would be happy to extend the lease another 12 months when this one ended.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have a 93 year old mother living with me

Thank you for your follow up.

Do you have a written extension of the lease?

Generally text messages would not constitute valid written agreement.

Also, unfortunately, generally, elderly tenant would not be subject to any special treatment when it comes to leases / evictions and would not be entitled to the lease extension, unless the landlord agrees to grant an extension.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am deaf, I communicate via e mail or text
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I only have the e mail..my question was...was my landlord supposed to give me written notice to leave the premises?

Thank you for your follow up.

I do not offer any phone calls, so if the JustAnswer.com offered an automatic phone call, please disregard.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, when it comes to written leases for the duration of time, such as annual leases, the landlord is not required to provide a written non-renewal notice and if the tenant does not vacate premises upon the expiration of the written lease, then the landlord will be able to file for an eviction in the local court, which can generally take anywhere between 30-60 days to be completed, however having an eviction in the public records, is never a good idea for the tenant, as such eviction record could make it very difficult for the tenant to rent another property.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
thanx

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.