RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

If you still have time on your lease but you give them a

Customer Question

If you still have time on your lease but you give them a medical reason from your doctor why you are moving. But they still charge you for breaking your lease. And they had already rented the apartment.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. Can you please clarify what the question is? What was the reason the doctor said the person had to move? In addition, you said they had someone to move in after you vacated?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had one knee operation. The other still needs work done. Or replaced.(both knees are bad) I live on the second floor. The stairs were getting to hard for me. There first floor apartment were to expensive. And yes, they rented it as soon as we moved out.

Thank you. If you advised the landlord that you were breaking the lease early and vacating, they had a legal obligation to mitigate damages and try and find someone to move in. If they did, you would not be liable for the remainder of the lease. Your obligation would be any costs incurred by the landlord is finding a new tenant ( i.e. realtor fee, listing fee, ads, etc) and for any time it remained vacant, while the landlord was looking, in good faith. Of course, if there is a fee in the lease agreement for breaking a lease early, that fee would need to be paid, if agreed to previously.If not, they can not just make this up and you would not have to pay it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!