Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

What recource do I have when I am making an offer to

Customer Question

What recource do I have when I am making an offer to purchase a house and my realtor is in contact with the selling agent and selling agent does not notify my realtor that there is an offer on the table? The selling realtors offer is accepted.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 9 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, there is no recourse because the selling agent does not have to disclose other offers. Also, the seller is free to accept any offer they choose. The fact someone puts in an offer on a house does not really give them any rights until the offer is actually accepted by the seller and up until that point they are up to the mercy of the seller and seller's agent in the deal.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Doesn't a broker have the obligation to allow all offers be submitted to the sellers so they may choose?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
In this case the listing broker unilaterally only allowed his offer be submitted to the sellers
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please respond
Thank you for your reply.
The seller's agent has a duty only to the seller, not the buyer. So, they may have breached that contractual duty they had with the seller, if the other offer was less than your offer, but they did not breach any duty to you because they did not have a contract with you only with the seller. So it would be up to the seller to raise that claim against their agent.