RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases

I have just accepted first and security deposit for my

Customer Question

I have just accepted first and security deposit for my property that I was going to lease to someone.
She signed it but I did not.
I found out that she has a criminal record and I do not want to rent to her. Am I legally bond to rent to her?
do I have a limited amount of days that I can get out of the agreement?
Thanks, Robin
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. Did you not perform a background check ahead of time? Did you ever ask her if she has a criminal record?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately I did not
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did not sign the leave, however
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the reply. If you presented her with the lease, she signed it and returned it and you accepted it, along with her deposit and first months rent, she can argue there was a legally binding contract and your failure to sign was in bad faith, since she accepted your offer. Of course, if you do not want to rent to her at this time, after discovering it, you could return the money and advise of the same Then, the burden would shift to her to try and sue you for the breach and damages, but there is no way of knowing if she would. Absent language in the lease that would allow either party to cancel the lease within X number of days, it could be viewed as binding.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.