Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

Do tenants have the first right to purchase a property that

Customer Question

do tenants have the first right to purchase a property that has been foreclosed on in the District of Columbia?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 month ago.

Good afternoon. No, tenants do not. Simply living there does not give the tenant a right of first refusal. They would have to buy the home at auction, just like any third party who is interested in it. If they are unable to buy it, the 3rd party purchaser can then either rent to them or ask them to vacate and then evict. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.