Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My son was living a an apartment managed by a company. He

Customer Question

My son was living a an apartment managed by a company. He heard rumor that his house was going to be tore down for new complex. He tried to contact the company, but they would not return his call. It became very obvious his house was going to be tore down but did not receive a call from the company. He stopped paying rent, which he shouldn't have. He did get a 30day notice, moved out as requested. Now the company is coming after the back rent. His last lease contract expired in 2015. The man is now coming to his house and swearing and harassing him. He has added a bunch of fines and fees to the back rent. He now has gone to his work and created a big scene in front of children and customers. He was swearing, calling him names and went to his employers and they should have never hired him. What should we do?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Is there a lease contract or was he a month-to-month tenant?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He had no written agreement after his lease expired.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you have any advice?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He also has left me a voice mail, because I was his notify in case of emergency, giving all the details of his case including amts and personal info.
Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. I had a court hearng...

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

If your son lived in the property, he'd obviously owe rent for the term he was there, and the landlord should be entitled to rent, but if there was not a written lease, the late fees and other charges likely aren't enforceable.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

As for the person harassing your son, he could file criminal harassment charges against the person and request a restraining order to get him to stop contacting him about this issue or anything else.

Expert:  Roger replied 4 months ago.

Hi - I was checking in to see if you needed anything further. Is so, please let me know. If not, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!