Albert Marmero
Albert Marmero,
Experience:  Partner at Long, Marmero, & Associates, LLP
93452170

Trico would like to clear away all trees brush and plant

Customer Question

Trico would like to clear away all trees brush and plant growth for easement and right of way. Can we ask for compensation?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Albert Marmero replied 5 months ago.

I will need some additional information in order to provide you with a response. Is this easement and right-of-way for purposes of Trico providing service to you? Or is this easement and right-of-way to allow Trico to access your property in order to provide service to a third party?

Got it. So Trico needs to access your property in order to provide service to a third party. In that case, you should certainly seek compensation and you would be well within your rights to do so. However, be aware that Trico will not pay any compensation for this. Any compensation would have to come from the third party who is benefiting from the easement. This information comes directly from Trico's Electric Service Requirements Book. https://www.trico.coop/images/ESRB-2015.pdf See page 23 regarding "Rights of Way" where they make it clear that the third party is fully responsible for obtaining the right-of-way. So you should seek compensation for the party benefiting from the easement.

I hope this is helpful. Please provide a rating so I receive credit for promptly responding to you. Also, feel free to ask follow up questions after rating. Thanks!