Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.

I signed a lease on a townhouse in Georgia which was between

Customer Question

I signed a lease on a townhouse in Georgia which was between the "landlord" and me. This landlord though was also a licensed real estate agent and I assumed when she showed me the property and when signing the lease she was acting in that capacity. Due to moving out after three days there is a dispute over several things and she is claiming as a landlord with less than ten homes she does not have to abide by certain Georgia laws pertaining to real estate law. I claim by virtue of her being a real estate agent and the fact that I had no idea there were exemptions clauses for this type of landlord that the exemptions do not apply. Who is right
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes. I would like to know the exact purpose of exempting certain landlords from Georgia's real estate laws.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Why did you assume she was acting as a real estate agent when renting her own property? Did you contact her as a real estate agent to find you a property to rent and represent you to rent a property?
What is the issue you have with the landlord and lease? Did she breach the lease?