ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

My lease is up today. My landlord is telling that he has

Customer Question

My lease is up today. My landlord is telling that he has raised my rent and will be requiring a new security deposit due tomorrow the 1st. Does he have to give me notice about the rent increase?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you tell me what state this is in?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Texas
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He wants me to buy and he has not fixed anything since the floods in April and May. There is black mold all over my house. He is way over priced for the house with all the damage so now that my lease is up he has raised my rent without notice

Thank you. When the lease is up, and assuming that there's not an "automatic renewal clause" in the lease, it would continue on a month to month basis until one or the other parties gave a 30 day notice to vacate / terminate. There also has to be that period of time notice for an increase in rent. So while he can give you notice today of a rent increase, that can't start for another month. The rent that you've been paying would still be operative.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!