Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My lease is up today and I gave my landlord 30 day notice on

Customer Question

My lease is up today and I gave my landlord 30 day notice on the 17th of August. They say I still have to pay all September rents since I did not give 60 day notice is this true?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 4 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

If you are a month-to-month tenant, you must give a written notice to the landlord if you want to move. The type of notice you must give may be specified in your written lease.

If you have no written lease or the written lease does not specify the type of notice you must give, you must give the landlord written notice at least 10 days before the next rent is due. For example, if you want to move out March 31, you must give your landlord notice on or before March 21 that you are moving.