ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
19487448

Can a homeowner's HOA demand that any landscaping be

Customer Question

Can a homeowner's HOA demand that any landscaping be pre-approved? I live in Indiana
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, the homeowner association can impose restrictions and other limitations that require that you get prior approval for landscaping to conform to certain standards (even if those standards are completely within the sole discretion of the board). Now if the board "selectively enforces" those restrictions, then you can potentially avoid any penalty for failure to conform to those HOA restrictions. BUt otherwise, such restrictions ARE legal, even if they're not logical or are overly strict.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it 3, 4, or 5 stars (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Again, please note that I need you to rate this question, please. I don't get any credit or paid for the time that I spent with you unless and until you do.