Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I CALLED randi borel looking to rent a section 8 duplex

Customer Question

I CALLED randi borel looking to rent a section 8 duplex because i had been displaced due to a mold situation. I DISCUSSED THAT i HAD A VOUCHER BUT IT WAS A GWINNETT VOUCHER, i MET WITH HER AND SHE WANTED TO KNOW WHAT MY VOUCHER WAS WORTH. i TOLD HER THAT COUNTIES DIFFER. SHE ADVISED ME TO PORT INTO DEKALB COUNTY WHERE HER DUPLEX IS AND I DID. I MOVED IN ON AUGUST 12, WITH A 15000.00 DEPOSIT. SHE WENT TO DEKALB HOUSING I WAS APPROVED FOR 733.00 THROUGH HOUSING AND I WOULD PAY MY PORTION OF 333.00, SHE CALLED ME ON AUGUST 30TH AND TOLD ME MY VOUCHER WAS NOT ENOUGH, AND SHE WAS ALSO ANGRY BECAUSE I WOULD NOT DO A SIDE PAYMENT. NOW I HAVE TO MOVE, DUE TO MY DISABILITY AND MOVING IT HAS DEPLETED MY SAVINGS FROM MY INSURANCE CLAIM I DISCUSSED WITH HER. DUE TO THE NATURE OF THE SITUATION AT HAND I AM UNABLE TO MOVE TODAY OR TOMORROW I NEED TIME. I AM IN PAIN AND MENTALLY UNSTABLE, BUT SHE SAYS I NEED TO MOVE BY OCTOBER.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon Stephanie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Certainly, you MUST have agreed to a certain amount of monthly rent when you moved in. What was that rental amount? Or was the agreement that you would move in and the landlord would accept whatever your subsidy was, plus an additional $333?

2. Are you saying that the landlord is demanding that you pay the $333 plus an additional amount that was not reported to the Dekalb County section 8 housing office?

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 months ago.

I sense that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference.

Thanks in advance,

Doug