Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I live in a trailer court, [Here is a little back story: my

Customer Question

I live in a trailer court, [Here is a little back story: my daughter used to come over and wash her clothes here, and the landlord/manager told me that it needed to stop. (I don't pay for water) So we stopped. This was maybe late last year.] He calls me yesterday to say he has witnessed my daughter bringing laundry baskets in and taking them back out. Which she does only because we live right next to a laundromat, she washes and dries her clothes there but brings them to my place to fold them... my landlord/manager has giving me a warning that if she does it anymore that he will have her banned from the trailer court!! That's right BANNED!! He has done a couple of other things towards me in the past couple of years and twice now he has told me if I don't like the rules I can move my trailer (I own it) I am at a loss right now, I don't know what I should do?? He will eventually, mark my words ban her. By the way she owns said trailer, I live there. Any help is appreciated...
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Is daughter on the lease for the lot?

.

Are you saying she owns the trailer, not you?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

No, she is not on the lease, and yes she owns it

Ok, then legally she has no contractual right to be on the property, even if she owns the home. Only the legal tenant listed on the lease has rights to be on the property as a licensee.. What that means is that since she is a guest of yours, the landlord can bar her from the property because she has no contractual rights to be there.

.

With that said, the only way to ensure that she isn't banned is for her to stop bringing over her laundry and giving the appearance that she is doing it there, even if she isn't.

.

Otherwise once the landlord bans her, if she comes back, he can have her arrested for trespassing and things get a lot tougher from then on..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks